Monday, July 7, 2008

My son wants to shave his legs

It was 114 in my backyard the other day. Don’t pay attention to the number because it is”Dry Heat” so it doesn’t count. My son is wearing long pants and I ask him if he would be more comfortable if he changes into shorts. He says that he looks weird in shorts because you can see the hair on his legs. Duh? Did I miss something? Even babies have fine little hairs on their legs? Can you imagine them squealing about someone noticing?

He explains to me that all the kids shave their legs and he probably should too. My son will be 16 in two weeks. I think my mom told that I could not shave my legs till I was 16 but is there an age for boys? What did I just ask myself (smack), stop it! I almost followed “but all the kids are doing it” and understanding his situation and forgetting that it’s not my job to be his friend, I am his parent. He doesn’t have to like me right now, I have to teach him how to survive, how to look at a situation and “think” not follow. Use some reasoning skills. Halfway down the hallway, I took a U-turn and returned my shaver back to the shower.

I had to have a conversation about what he wants and is comfortable with and that is more important than making everyone else comfortable or fitting in. I understand you want to fit in, but you need to fit yourself first because you might need to find your way back home after you do all this following.

I seriously do not get young boys shaving their legs in middle and high school. I don’t get parents letting 12 year olds pierce their belly button either, call me old school. My thoughts on this is that the kids are spending more time paying attention to the other kids and what they are wearing and doing than real things like their families, education, themselves, their future………all their thoughts are paying attention to everyone else, it is like the embryonic stage of another “People Magazine” it trains their brain to look external instead of internal.

I know there are plenty of you out there that have had parental conflicts and parents that are having conflicts with their children over certain things, and I really don’t want to make a battle over this but I think if you do anything you better have a better reason for doing it than “everyone else does it” without a really good reason why this benefits you or life in general.

I am not going to be around forever and always and I just want him equipped with a brain that actually functions, I need to de-sheep his brain out of the following mode.

He decided not to shave his legs but wanted some hair wax so he can style his hair like Elvis Presley. It has brought back my faith that people do want to do better if someone will just show them the path which is hard to find because few people walk it and it is not worn out and obvious. You really have to want it.

XOXOXOX

Karla

No comments: