Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Electronic Vultures

It was 109 here yesterday. I am not complaining because I have lived here for so long that I no longer have illusions of cool summers. Summers are hot that is why they are in the summer. I have become the deluxe edition of reality.
I take a little break from the heat every few weeks. I live indoors almost the entire summer otherwise. We recently went to the beach over in California. We stayed in Venice Beach. It is a really cool place. The sidewalks are jammed with different flavors. It is a huge people buffet.
As the sun set, my son and I walked on the beach. Perfect day! That cool breeze that carries fresh air and then I looked down. The remnants of people that have received their annual dose of sunburn ravaged the coast. Single shoes, sand drenched knotted towels, abandoned buckets that once built a castle and electronic vultures! I think the electronic vultures outnumbered the seagulls.
I have seen the commercials on television of how easy it is to find treasure, but somehow this person pushing the keys and writing this just doesn't think it is lucky to find other people possessions as a hobby. I guess I am not looking to get "lucky."
What is an electronic vulture? They scan the beach right as the sun sets with their metal detectors looking for "hidden treasure" that the people have left during the day. Things lost in the sand. I wonder why someone would keep a lost wedding ring or what they do with those car keys that they find. I am thinking that there is a difference between something being abandoned and something being lost that the owner could retrieve if they could. I am thinking that it is one thing to do this as a "look and see" but these people out there are pretty serious about what they are doing and there were over 20 when I stopped counting. I would be a lousy pirate because I would return the treasure once found. I would use the metal detector for those that have lost something in the sand, not to get "lucky."

I can only speak for myself. Does anyone know anyone that does this?

No comments: