Thursday, August 7, 2008

There is no such thing as a good "line"

I went into a restaurant tonight and asked for a table. The hostess replied that there would be a 30 minute wait. I turned to my party and asked them if they wanted to wait. They shrug their shoulders and act like they don’t have a choice in agreement to the conditions of dining.
We wait. I hate waiting. I hate waiting when I really do not have to wait.
After about 20 minutes they surrender a table and then we wait another 15 minutes for the waitress to come by and ask what we wanted to drink, another 10 minutes to order and then another 20 minutes for the food.
I hate waiting, especially when I am paying for it!
If I had not been with these particular dining pals, I would have walked out at the first hint of a wait.
Why?
Because they are busy. I will take less service and probably food quality too, while they improve their bottom line. More productivity for less labor costs. As soon as they tell me that there is going to be a wait, I know the entire place is backed up and overworked.

Lines at clubs? I would never. If there is a line at the door, there is a line at the bar and guess how long the line is on the way out (the bathroom?), no thank you!

Lines is grocery stores? Just say no! I have just left the merchandise and walked out, I am not doing it!

We all just line up and wait and wait like farm animals like it is some fraternity tradition and why? Because we let them and people just put up with it. It often reminds me of the photos of the bread lines in Russia. I promise you I will find a place without a line, I am just not going to take less, so you can have more for no other reason than you can under staff and cut corners.

In these times where competition is up, you would think they would at least offer more customer service than wanting me to understand that I have to take less, while paying the same prices.

They can manage these lines if they want to. Disneyland put in fast track because of the complaining about wait times. It was silly. Having people wait in line while they could just make a reservation and enjoy the park while waiting their turn.



So far I think the worst lines, worst than Disneyland is the TSA lines at the airport. That is a bunch of crap because they charge us a security fee to fund that and they know what the passenger load is and can staff for it.

What is the longest line you ever waited in?

No comments: