Monday, June 9, 2008

Help! My Cat has joined a cult!

My cat has joined a cult.

This was the first cat I have ever had. I am not a cat person, but I am an animal person. I got this cat at Wal-Mart 13 years ago. NO, Wal-Mart doesn’t sell cats. Two little boys 8 and 10 years old were outside of the Wal-Mart at 10PM one night. Their mother told them to stay there until they gave that kittens away, like it is the kids’ fault the mother cat got pregnant? Who let’s their kid hang out in front of the Wal-Mart at 10 PM?

Note: I usually don’t shop there but I just bought my son a computer and everything was lining up great until the directions said I needed a “surger.” Wal-Mart is open 24 hours.

I was in shock and started to talk to the boys. This is not a great Wal-Mart to be at in the first place. Let me give you a quick visual. It is about 10 blocks from the Las Vegas Strip and about this time in the night limousines line up because its passengers are buying condoms. So, I stand there with the kids and ask them if I can take them home and they tell me they can’t till they give the kittens away. I continued to watch over these kids until there was one kitten left. It was 11 PM, so I took the kids to their home and the kitten to my home.

I had picked up some food at Wal-Mart, but I had no idea about litter boxes or anything so the kitten is hanging out at the stack of papers in the corner that are suppose to be recycled. The kids are thrilled with the kitten; I have not idea what I am doing, so I call the Vet and take the kitten in. The Vet hands me some little kid version of “so now you have a cat” and sends me on my way.

My dogs name at that time was “Miss Apple” (another blog) so I think the kids thought that animals had to be named after a fruit, so they named her “peaches” because that was the fruit they liked the most.

Cats are not like dogs at all. The only time the cat ever spoke to me is when her food or water dish was low. She had a door to go in and out and did pretty much anything she wanted because she is the “cat” of the house; even the dogs did not defy her.

I had her spayed and her teeth cleaned as time went on. Oh, another thing she did was that she never showed up for her appointments, she would just not be available. Luckily the Vet understood and anytime I could catch her I could bring her in without an appointment.

Two years ago the cat made some friends. Several cats from around the neighborhood starting hanging around and food dish got empty quick. I was filling it twice a day. This year it finally goes to the point where I was going through five pounds of cat food a week. She was running her own bread and breakfast out of the garage.

One day the dish is full. The next day…….. untouched. I thought maybe something happened to her so I checked with every place I could. I thought one of then new neighbors might have set a trap or something.

Two months go by………………and the food dish sits there. Then I see her on the wall across the street. I call for her and she runs away? What the heck is that all about? Some cat cult has brain washed my cat, they probably used tuna fish or something. I am glad she is safe and I keep food and water out for her, but none of the other tenants from her bed and breakfast she was running even come over anymore.

I don’t know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

No comments: